Exactly the same premise as the Gideon Fell crossword if you want to skip the rules.
- The answers are all words or phrases taken from what I believe are the titles of the 30 novels featuring Inspector Joseph French.
- English titles are used throughout.
- Each title is only featured once.
- In the case of single word answers, none are trivial e.g. of, it, he etc.
- Slight knowledge of one of books is required but there are no spoilers in the clues or solutions.
- One Inspector French title has been replaced by a different Carter Dickson title – what is missing and what has been added?
1. Has Heseltine hidden the trophy? (5)
5 and 21 down. Customary question answered by genius (8,2,7)
6. Boy heard stealin’ (5)
8. Travels around to get here (7)
9. A very loud tune is bad for the partnership (6)
11. Hear music magazine is against us (5)
13. I go to the loo (4)
14. Footballer scores then stops playing (7)
22. See 24
24 and 22. n (3,3,2,6,8)
25. Before yet get there, change ye hat now (2,3,3)
26. Peter is shorted to Max (6)
27. Former quizmaster thanks right reverend insect (7)
28. Keeps all the pigs (4)
29. Direct fashion designer inhales nitrogen (7)
30. Try opening old city with energy (7)
2. Two short men these days say nothing (7)
3. 150% (roughly 100) found in Buckinghamshire (8)
4. Contains sack, perhaps? (4)
7. Lieutenant is cut down but retains his position (6)
10. Unloading toffee carelessly but drug-free is possible outcome for 12 (5,8)
12. Kasparov plays and gets rinsed (3,9)
15. Ted, unshaded, could quickly suffer effect of severe heat-stroke (6,5)
16. A secret stage could be his acme (8,4)
17. Port ruined Thomas Upton (11)
18. C? (3,7)
19. Love according to the song guarantees itself (6,4)
20. Jean proves to be ship-shape (4,6)
21. See 5 across
23. I have no more poison within (5)
26. 102 men meet in London (7)
27. Constrained rocket (5)
Ah! This is where I have a slight problem – my technological limitations prevent me from creating this in a fashion that I can upload and even if I could my free WordPress site may not even accept it. The clues can be solved without a grid, you just won’t have the help of any letters from overlapping words.
However, if you would like a printable spreadsheet grid and clues, please send me your email address via the Contact page at the top of the screen and I will email them to you.